The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier won't move after engaging/disengaging neutral bolt

Local time
12:48 PM
Reaction score
reposting in the S.O.S. section as suggested by Jean Mercier.

Engaged the neutral bolt in anticipation of a tow(more about that later). Anyway it looks like I engaged it without having the transfer case in neutral. Once I backed out and put everything back in the proper position, the gear box will not go into forward or reverse. I have gone back through the proper process at least six more times. Anyone have any ideas on a fix? I'm about 6 hours from the dealer right now.

additional notes: 1. the display displays properly when shifting, just no actual forward/reverse movement.
2. works properly when cdl is engaged, both high and low
3. I'm a couple of hours away from the Grenadier right now but will be traveling back tomorrow. When I disengaged the neutral bolt, I backed it out to the "stop" which appears to be even with the flange. I plan to run the bolt in , maybe 1 turn, to see if that will remedy the issue.
Any insight is appreciated and many thanks to those that responded to my previous post in the drivetrain section.

Pistaah

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
This may be a red herring, but have you got your driver's door shut (properly)? - mine simulates jumping out of gear with no motion at all if the door is not shut properly. Apologies if you've thought of this.

Local time
Reaction score
This may be a red herring, but have you got your driver's door shut (properly)? - mine simulates jumping out of gear with no motion at all if the door is not shut properly. Apologies if you've thought of this.
thanks, tried it with them open and shut. only engages when the cdl is locked.

Local time
Reaction score
additional notes: 1. the display displays properly when shifting, just no actual forward/reverse movement.
2. works properly when cdl is engaged, both high and low
This sounds mechanical. Have you lost a drive flange on wheel hub, drive shaft (Am. half shaft) including double cardan joint, prop shaft (Am. drive shaft) or center diff? Is it possible?

Local time
Reaction score
This sounds mechanical. Have you lost a drive flange on wheel hub, drive shaft (Am. half shaft) including double cardan joint, prop shaft (Am. drive shaft) or center diff? Is it possible?
no sir. it was shifting just fine prior to the neutral bolt engagement.

Local time
Reaction score
Engaged the neutral bolt in anticipation of a tow(more about that later). Anyway it looks like I engaged it without having the transfer case in neutral. Once I backed out and put everything back in the proper position, the gear box will not go into forward or reverse.
What was the original reason to put transfer in neutral?

Here are two worrying things:
1. As you probably have LHD steering and should have N-position already on the lever there is no need to go under vehicle.
2. Here it says: "If the screw is rotated the wrong way or removed, then this WILL result in severe damage to the two-speed transfer case." Don't know about the internals of the transfer box but is this possible?

screenshot_20240329-091513-jpg.7865159

Local time
Reaction score
getting it ready to load on a flatbed for towing. bolt was not removed. it has a stop, counter clockwise, which places the bolt head flush. I have read theattached document. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom