The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General GDI (Gas Direct Injection) and Carbon Buildup in the B58

Pete Brown

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have enough miles on a Grenadier in colder climates or any B58 on another vehicle to have any experience with carbon buildup? Is this going to be a problem for us?

I understand that at least one Toyota engine has two injectors, on for DGI and another just upstream of the intake valve. They alternate injections between the two to provide some cleaning on the intake valve to reduce carbon buildup. Do our B58s have that feature?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have enough miles on a Grenadier in colder climates or any B58 on another vehicle to have any experience with carbon buildup? Is this going to be a problem for us?

I understand that at least one Toyota engine has two injectors, on for DGI and another just upstream of the intake valve. They alternate injections between the two to provide some cleaning on the intake valve to reduce carbon buildup. Do our B58s have that feature?
In my Grenadier I have the B57 diesel but I do have a Gen 1 B58 in my 2018 BMW M140i. It's at 75,000km (~47,000 miles) and not showing any signs of carbon build up but there is anecdotal evidence that I may need to do a walnut shell port and valve clean at some point.
Kern417 on YouTube has just done a video on potential early problems with the B58TU2 (Gen 3). Gen 3 introduces port injection in addition to DGI; supposedly in an effort to keep the back of the valves clean. Gen 3 also introduces 48V hybrid tech and some sort of exhaust valve keep-closed system. Check out his Gen 3 problems video here.
I don't believe the Grenadier has the TU2, or at least it doesn't have hybrid tech. Ineos have mentioned that for MY25.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
The B58 TU (the IG motor) has a robust oil seperating system in the valve cover. This is intended to minimise oil vapour to the air intake system. It basically renders “catch cans” obselete.
The TU2 motor has added port injection (fuel injection prior to the intake valve). One of the benefits of this is keeping your intake valves clean. However, I believe this system is proving to be unreliable, that is, the extra complexity of the engine is out weighing the benefits.

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
The B58 TU (the IG motor) has a robust oil seperating system in the valve cover. This is intended to minimise oil vapour to the air intake system. It basically renders “catch cans” obselete.
The TU2 motor has added port injection (fuel injection prior to the intake valve). One of the benefits of this is keeping your intake valves clean. However, I believe this system is proving to be unreliable, that is, the extra complexity of the engine is out weighing the benefits.

Unfortunately what I was expecting but BMW will eventually get it right. That's going to add a year or two wait for anyone holding out for the TU2 in the Gren unless emissions regs require it to be installed sooner.

Back
Top Bottom