The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gathering info…..

Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
Looking for a mild off-roader. We are finished with Jeep, and not sure we want to modify the wife’s 2023 GX460. The Grenadier might be the solution we are looking for. Here to learn, so I apologize for the stupid questions in advance.

Ron

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:34 PM
Reaction score
Looking for a mild off-roader. We are finished with Jeep, and not sure we want to modify the wife’s 2023 GX460. The Grenadier might be the solution we are looking for. Here to learn, so I apologize for the stupid questions in advance.

Ron
Welcome aboard-glad you found us.

The forum’s search feature is fantastic so poke around-tons of information to be had. Likewise, plenty of great folks to address the things you can’t find!

Local time
Reaction score
The wife and I went down to the local dealership to look around today. We are both smitten. The dealership was closed, so we didn’t climb inside or drive one, but wow. As long as the steering issues isn’t as bad as it is made out to be, we will probably orde one.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
The wife and I went down to the local dealership to look around today. We are both smitten. The dealership was closed, so we didn’t climb inside or drive one, but wow. As long as the steering issues isn’t as bad as it is made out to be, we will probably orde one.
The steering issue is as bad as anyone wants to exaggerate it.
It is a live solid front axle with recirculating ball steering.
It is nowhere near as bad as some reviewers and test drivers want to make out after a 15 minute drive.
Mine self centres 80-90% of the way if you start to feed in the power smoothly after turning.

It takes about a week to get used to and then it is a pleasure to drive.
Here's mine driving on the highway
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw2CnkkcCb4

GN4HIR

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
After a month of driving the IG, I got back into my GMC Sierra. The GMC felt like it had weird steering. My test drive in the IG I was 1. impressed with how smooth it drove 2. surprised I had to self center after going around the first turn and 3. a little disappointed it didn't have a better turning radius. I got used to #2 & 3 pretty quick. Its not a perfect vehicle, but it draws attention and built like nothing else out there. Crawl underneath and you will be impressed with just how solid it is.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
After a month of driving the IG, I got back into my GMC Sierra. The GMC felt like it had weird steering. My test drive in the IG I was 1. impressed with how smooth it drove 2. surprised I had to self center after going around the first turn and 3. a little disappointed it didn't have a better turning radius. I got used to #2 & 3 pretty quick. Its not a perfect vehicle, but it draws attention and built like nothing else out there. Crawl underneath and you will be impressed with just how solid it is.
I went through a takeaway drive through once.
It had a tight turn just before the serving window.
I had to go back and forward about 4 times to get close to the turn and then I gave up and ran over the corner of the garden.
That allowed me to see the looks on the faces in the twenty vehicles now waiting behind me.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
The steering isn't an issue. It's a recirculating ball and is likely to be different from what you currently drive. I came from a Discovery so by the time I had driven home, one hour, I had got used to it. I was more worried trying to work out all the menu subsets on the touch screen. That's 6 months and 4000 miles ago, and have never looked back. Stop fretting about it and just enjoy your test drive.

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks guys, these are reassuring posts. We have driven modified Jeeps for years, couldn’t imagine it being worse than that. Just soft YouTube reviewers I suppose. I had a Jeep TJ, stretched, 1 ton axles, 40” tires, and a PSC full hydraulic steering set up. Now that was some scary steering on he street!

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
You would be buying a set up as durable as your modified Jeep, FROM THE FACTORY! That is what is crazy.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:34 PM
Reaction score
A lot of the reviewers are used to driving and reviewing performance cars and the steering that comes with that type of vehicle, so they generally sh1t themselves and cry about it when they spend more than most members of the public who are used to driving 4x4 vehicles. It isn’t a Range Rover and it is a new Defender.

However you don’t sound like that is the type of vehicle you are after either. From your current setup I don’t think you will be phased at all by the steering on the Grenny. I would say check the tyre pressures on your test drive before you start, 36psi seems to be the sweet spot for tarmac driving. It is for me and plenty of others anyway. The dealers tend to inflate them to about 40-42 from what I have seen.

Local time
Reaction score
Well gents, we won’t be joining the Grendadier ranks (at least for now). Despite past problems with Jeeps, we bought another one this weekend. The wifey always wanted to try one with a V8, so we snagged a 392 Rubicon with the 6.4L Hemi. Before the .gov makes them go the way of the dinosaur.. We will definitely revisit the Grenadier in a few years. Thanks for all the welcoming responses and answers to my questions.

Back
Top Bottom