The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front Receiver Hitch Install

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:50 AM
Reaction score
I just picked up my Trialmaster last week in Dallas and am very excited. I did t not have the factory winch installed for a number of reasons but I also missed the option to install the front receiver hitch. So a coue questions:

Has anyone installed the front receiver after delivery?
Any idea on the part numbers or a parts diagram on the front receiver?
Has anyone installed a NATO plug on the front to lower the winch or any idea on the factory wiring for the front winch?

I have the auxiliary battery and 500amp switch and NATO plug on the rear so my guess is adding the wiring for the front should be able to be accomplished with the factory harness, recognizing I would need to add the plug for a receiver winch application. Having the plug on the front would be nice to also power other items from the front.

Thanks in advance for any help or assistance!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score
Are you wanting to use the removable factory winch up front?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
I just picked up my Trialmaster last week in Dallas and am very excited. I did t not have the factory winch installed for a number of reasons but I also missed the option to install the front receiver hitch. So a coue questions:

Has anyone installed the front receiver after delivery?
Any idea on the part numbers or a parts diagram on the front receiver?
Has anyone installed a NATO plug on the front to lower the winch or any idea on the factory wiring for the front winch?

I have the auxiliary battery and 500amp switch and NATO plug on the rear so my guess is adding the wiring for the front should be able to be accomplished with the factory harness, recognizing I would need to add the plug for a receiver winch application. Having the plug on the front would be nice to also power other items from the front.

Thanks in advance for any help or assistance!
You are not allowed to use the removable winch in the front

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score
You are not allowed to use the removable winch in the front
Not "approved" , but in some countries , such "regulations" are for fools ;)
It's a bloody heavy lump to be inserting in that hole!

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Are you wanting to use the removable factory winch up front?
Yes - I would like to be able to use a winch or whatever I want on the front. I sometimes hook up trailers to the front or feeders for hunting or a game rack. I have them on multiple other vehicles. I understand if the regulations won’t allow the factory install but it’s very common in the aftermarket and not illegal in Texas so curious if I can get the part and install.

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
I had the same idea as you…here’s what I ended up doing.
I had my dealer wire in the quick connector cable for the winch to the existing wiring for the 500amp circuit. There is a red covered quick connector hanging through a hole cut in the wire mesh on the bumper. Then I put an 8000lb Warn VR EVO 8 winch on a hitch cradle and the other half of the quick connect cable on the winch.

All that being said, I have not had to use this in a situation where I am actually stuck yet, but I do believe it will function safely.

I’m getting the rear hitch and NATO plug installed Friday and plan to have someone wire another quick connector cable to a NATO plug adapter I got from Agile Offroad so I can put the winch on the rear too. Here’s the link for that product. The others were from Amazon.

Just under $1000 total.

Attachments

• IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0952.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 69

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I had the same idea as you…here’s what I ended up doing.
I had my dealer wire in the quick connector cable for the winch to the existing wiring for the 500amp circuit. There is a red covered quick connector hanging through a hole cut in the wire mesh on the bumper. Then I put an 8000lb Warn VR EVO 8 winch on a hitch cradle and the other half of the quick connect cable on the winch.

All that being said, I have not had to use this in a situation where I am actually stuck yet, but I do believe it will function safely.

I’m getting the rear hitch and NATO plug installed Friday and plan to have someone wire another quick connector cable to a NATO plug adapter I got from Agile Offroad so I can put the winch on the rear too. Here’s the link for that product. The others were from Amazon.

Just under $1000 total.
Thanks! I guess you had the receiver installed from the factory? What you outlined was exactly what i was planning to do, but curious if there was a factory wiring harness.

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There is no wiring harness for the front hitch. It is bolted in to the center section of the frame/bumper the same way the factory winch is.

If you have a Trialmaster or the heavy duty wiring from the factory, there is wiring to the front right fender that ends at an Anderson switch (similar to solenoid from my understanding) and what allows the power to function with the overhead switch. The easiest way to get to it is remove the right front fender flare, fender well cover, and mud flap, from the outside, not going through the engine bay.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
There is no wiring harness for the front hitch. It is bolted in to the center section of the frame/bumper the same way the factory winch is.

If you have a Trialmaster or the heavy duty wiring from the factory, there is wiring to the front right fender that ends at an Anderson switch (similar to solenoid from my understanding) and what allows the power to function with the overhead switch. The easiest way to get to it is remove the right front fender flare, fender well cover, and mud flap, from the outside, not going through the engine bay.
Thanks! I have a Trialmaster with the heavy duty wiring from the factory. Are you saying that the 500 amp switch also has a pre-wire to this location?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks! I have a Trialmaster with the heavy duty wiring from the factory. Are you saying that the 500 amp switch also has a pre-wire to this location?
Yes, I can confirm that too. The cable end is located there as described by @Psignore00

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
Yes, I can confirm that too. The cable end is located there as described by @Psignore00
HI rovie, I assume if you ordered the front bumper integrated Red Winch, then Ineos used this 500 amp wiring to power it and that is not a second additional set of wires, correct? DaBull

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
HI rovie, I assume if you ordered the front bumper integrated Red Winch, then Ineos used this 500 amp wiring to power it and that is not a second additional set of wires, correct? DaBull
Hi @DaBull exactly. If the Red Winch is installed, this 500A cable is used. I do not have a winch. That's why the end of the cable is under the plastic trim in the wheel arch.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Guys - this is great info! I am thinking that I might just wait until the aftermarket (ARB, etc) comes out with a full front bumper replacement that is winch ready as I do think there is real benefit to having a dedicated front winch. Any chance anyone has a picture of the wire location or a bit better description? Just trying to make sure I have the correct location.

From the above, it sounds like the wiring is inside the right front fender well liner (plastic liner)? “Right front” being the passenger side in the US? Is it accessible from the engine compartment? Any chance someone has a wiring diagram? Any idea what the connection type is or just raw wires?

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Guys - this is great info! I am thinking that I might just wait until the aftermarket (ARB, etc) comes out with a full front bumper replacement that is winch ready as I do think there is real benefit to having a dedicated front winch. Any chance anyone has a picture of the wire location or a bit better description? Just trying to make sure I have the correct location.

From the above, it sounds like the wiring is inside the right front fender well liner (plastic liner)? “Right front” being the passenger side in the US? Is it accessible from the engine compartment? Any chance someone has a wiring diagram? Any idea what the connection type is or just raw wires?
the wire ends at what is referred to as an Anderson Switch (I’m not an expert, just an owner and off-roader, and I would compare it to a high powered solenoid switch)

If you know where it is, you can probably touch it from the engine bay, but connecting a wire terminal and tightening the nut on the post will need to be done by removing the wheel well liner.

The best advice I can give to locate it without going through the wheel well is to follow the heavy duty wiring from the positive jump start connection in the engine bay. It will lead you back to the Anderson switch.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
the wire ends at what is referred to as an Anderson Switch (I’m not an expert, just an owner and off-roader, and I would compare it to a high powered solenoid switch)

If you know where it is, you can probably touch it from the engine bay, but connecting a wire terminal and tightening the nut on the post will need to be done by removing the wheel well liner.

The best advice I can give to locate it without going through the wheel well is to follow the heavy duty wiring from the positive jump start connection in the engine bay. It will lead you back to the Anderson switch.
Thanks! I really appreciate it. I have done quite a few bumper and winch installs over the years and just trying to see what this will take. You mention the word “switch”, but you are referring to a plug vs a switch? The below picture is an Anderson Plug and it would make sense that the jump terminals would be connected.

Now - the 500 amp switch controls the rear NATO plug so I am guessing the jump post is just proximity and not connected, but I may be wrong here.

Any insight would be appreciated. This is why we ALL deserve the factory service manuals with the wiring diagrams.

1712800288201.jpg

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Ok - forgot to add - there is a “switch/relay” on the rear of the vehicle on the right rear for the NATO plus so maybe there is a similar, maybe idenitical, switch in the front under the fender? if so - that would be awesome and make adding anything with a high amperage draw on the front of the vehicle VERY simple.

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Ok - crawled all around and I think I see what you are referring to, but there appears to be a battery isolator, fuse block and they are all connected to the jump post. What I am calling the isolator is a Red Winch 150 AMP rated connection that comes off of the jump post and then runs down to the Anderson connection - I think? I have not pulled the wheel liner, but I can see another relay/switch.

Sorry for all of the questions, but just trying to learn. I am amazed at what INEOS actually put into this vehicle from the factory and just trying to learn as much as I can. In the past - I have just run everything to the battery in the engine compartment to power a winch.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2358.jpeg
    IMG_2358.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You’re getting close, but not there yet. Follow that heavy wiring in the pic above and you will find it. I think that switch you found has something to do with activating it as the 500amp circuit is only available when the vehicle is in D, N, or R, I’m guessing to stop the moron from trying to winch himself out while in park.

And I need to apologize. Anderson quick connect plugs is what I installed. The switch is called an Albright switch, not Anderson switch (too much European language/brands in this vehicle)

IMG_0968.jpeg

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ok - forgot to add - there is a “switch/relay” on the rear of the vehicle on the right rear for the NATO plus so maybe there is a similar, maybe idenitical, switch in the front under the fender? if so - that would be awesome and make adding anything with a high amperage draw on the front of the vehicle VERY simple.
It is simple. The hardest part (and why I had the dealer install the wiring) was there isn’t a great place to ground the wires. The Albright switch is + only, and there is no battery terminal to ground to.

Back
Top Bottom