The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fox Performance Suspension Kit Initial Impressions

Braydo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
I recently got the chance to test out the newly developed Solve Offroad suspension kit on my Grenadier. This kit uses the Fox 2.0 Performance Series shocks paired with Eibach 35mm Pro springs. Here’s how things went after a weekend of towing my nearly 2-ton camper and doing some light off-roading with the new setup and 34-inch mud terrain tyres.

On-Road Performance:
For the on-road portion, we took the Putty Rd which connects Windsor and Singleton north of Sydney, Australia. If you’re not familiar, it’s technically a Main Rd—though you might start questioning that after a few kilometers. It’s a popular route for motorcyclists, with a mix of long corners, straight stretches, and some moderately steep, winding mountain sections. Speed limits range from 80-100kph. Road maintenance is, well, infrequent—some areas have had automated contraflow in place for years due to subsidence along the embankments. Why repair when you’ve got perfectly adequate traffic management, right?

Despite the road ‘characteristics’, the on-road manners of this kit are impressive. The ride remains smooth and controlled, even with the beefier setup. Before installing this kit, I was running the 35mm springs on stock BFG KO2 tyres and shocks. That setup was fine on the road, but the Fox kit with the 34-inch tyres has definitely improved handling and stability of the lifted vehicle. That said, if you’re only concerned about on-road performance, you might not see enough of a difference to justify the investment (but then again, why lift the vehicle if you’re just cruising the highway?). The Fox setup is well-tuned, soaking up road imperfections without compromising comfort. Even with the larger tyres running at 42-44psi, there wasn’t much increase in road noise or harshness, which I’d attribute to the quality of the kit’s damping.

Just note though—the entire on-road portion of the drive was with the camper in tow, and I didn’t tow with the previous setup, so this comparison isn’t exactly apples to apples. I’ll update the review once I’ve had more road time without the extra weight.

Off-Road Capability:
So the stuff that really matters: off-road performance. Off the beaten path is where the setup really shines. The additional lift provided by the Eibach 35mm Pro springs with the taller tyres is just right in my book, giving you more ground clearance without feeling top heavy or more boaty than at stock height. The suspension flexes nicely, keeping wheels in contact with the ground as you’d expect from a solid axle setup. I didn’t push it to full articulation, but I’m expecting markedly better performance than stock, especially on the front axle.

One of the downsides of lifting the Grenadier on stock shocks is the reduction in downward wheel travel. This setup overcomes that, being engineered specifically for the lifted height. The new components underneath—linkages, control arms, etc.—show that a lot of thought went into getting the geometry right. I’m assured it’ll stay within the angles that the front driveshaft CVs can handle. But if you’re planning to push it even further, I’m told that Solve is already working on upgrades for those who want to push further—they’re well aware of the challenges folks with higher lifts are facing. I threw some moderate inclines and loose surfaces its way, and the Grenadier handled them perfectly. The Fox shocks and Eibach springs make a great team, delivering solid performance without sacrificing comfort.

I haven’t had a chance to test this kit in really difficult terrain yet, but I’ll update my review once I do.

Towing Performance:
Towing with this setup was a breeze. Usually lifts do not improve on road towing, and in fact can compromise it, so I did not have any expectations in this respect. The Grenadier felt solid and composed, even when fully loaded, with no noticeable rear-end sag thanks to the upgraded springs (I’ll get around to measuring the actual sag at some point). The Fox shocks did a great job keeping the ride smooth and stable, reducing sway, and building confidence in towing on road with this setup.

One key moment during the trip was on a steep downhill section at night. I hadn’t dialed in the trailer brakes properly (my mistake), and as I approached a tight corner a little too fast, the trailer started to sway. When I pressed the brake controller it did nothing (because, again, I hadn’t set it up right), and my heart rate rose as I applied more brake pressure in order to make the corner. But the Grenadier? Rock solid. The rear end stayed planted, and the vehicle remained perfectly stable, even as the trailer tried to dance its way out of line. While the vehicle’s weight certainly helped, I’m convinced the well-tuned shocks were the real heroes here, keeping everything straight and controlled when things could’ve gone sideways—literally.

Overall Impression:
Solve Offroad has done a stellar job with this suspension kit. It’s a well-rounded upgrade for the Grenadier, enhancing performance both on and off the road. Whether you’re towing, tackling rough trails, or dropping the kids at school, this kit delivers a noticeable boost in ride quality and handling. I highly recommend it to any Grenadier owner looking to step up their vehicle’s capabilities.

NB: I’ve got no affiliation with Solve Offroad—just a long-standing customer. They set up my previous vehicle, and after that experience, I approached Nick, the owner, to see what magic he could work on my new Grenadier. He’s a wizard.

IMG_0522.jpeg
IMG_0521.jpeg
IMG_0549.jpeg
IMG_0535.jpeg

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
what exactly did they upgrade in this kit? Shocks and springs? Sounds like some linkeage?
Drive axles as well?

Braydo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
what exactly did they upgrade in this kit? Shocks and springs? Sounds like some linkeage?
Drive axles as well?
Shocks, springs, control arms, linkages, mounts. Not sure what else, but no change to axles or drive shafts.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
I've been looking at Fox shocks for future upgrades as I have them on my '91 D90 and happy with them.
Let us know how the drive shafts are holding after several thousand miles.

wolftimj

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
I recently got the chance to test out the newly developed Solve Offroad suspension kit on my Grenadier. This kit uses the Fox 2.0 Performance Series shocks paired with Eibach 35mm Pro springs. Here’s how things went after a weekend of towing my nearly 2-ton camper and doing some light off-roading with the new setup and 34-inch mud terrain tyres.

On-Road Performance:
For the on-road portion, we took the Putty Rd which connects Windsor and Singleton north of Sydney, Australia. If you’re not familiar, it’s technically a Main Rd—though you might start questioning that after a few kilometers. It’s a popular route for motorcyclists, with a mix of long corners, straight stretches, and some moderately steep, winding mountain sections. Speed limits range from 80-100kph. Road maintenance is, well, infrequent—some areas have had automated contraflow in place for years due to subsidence along the embankments. Why repair when you’ve got perfectly adequate traffic management, right?

Despite the road ‘characteristics’, the on-road manners of this kit are impressive. The ride remains smooth and controlled, even with the beefier setup. Before installing this kit, I was running the 35mm springs on stock BFG KO2 tyres and shocks. That setup was fine on the road, but the Fox kit with the 34-inch tyres has definitely improved handling and stability of the lifted vehicle. That said, if you’re only concerned about on-road performance, you might not see enough of a difference to justify the investment (but then again, why lift the vehicle if you’re just cruising the highway?). The Fox setup is well-tuned, soaking up road imperfections without compromising comfort. Even with the larger tyres running at 42-44psi, there wasn’t much increase in road noise or harshness, which I’d attribute to the quality of the kit’s damping.

Just note though—the entire on-road portion of the drive was with the camper in tow, and I didn’t tow with the previous setup, so this comparison isn’t exactly apples to apples. I’ll update the review once I’ve had more road time without the extra weight.

Off-Road Capability:
So the stuff that really matters: off-road performance. Off the beaten path is where the setup really shines. The additional lift provided by the Eibach 35mm Pro springs with the taller tyres is just right in my book, giving you more ground clearance without feeling top heavy or more boaty than at stock height. The suspension flexes nicely, keeping wheels in contact with the ground as you’d expect from a solid axle setup. I didn’t push it to full articulation, but I’m expecting markedly better performance than stock, especially on the front axle.

One of the downsides of lifting the Grenadier on stock shocks is the reduction in downward wheel travel. This setup overcomes that, being engineered specifically for the lifted height. The new components underneath—linkages, control arms, etc.—show that a lot of thought went into getting the geometry right. I’m assured it’ll stay within the angles that the front driveshaft CVs can handle. But if you’re planning to push it even further, I’m told that Solve is already working on upgrades for those who want to push further—they’re well aware of the challenges folks with higher lifts are facing. I threw some moderate inclines and loose surfaces its way, and the Grenadier handled them perfectly. The Fox shocks and Eibach springs make a great team, delivering solid performance without sacrificing comfort.

I haven’t had a chance to test this kit in really difficult terrain yet, but I’ll update my review once I do.

Towing Performance:
Towing with this setup was a breeze. Usually lifts do not improve on road towing, and in fact can compromise it, so I did not have any expectations in this respect. The Grenadier felt solid and composed, even when fully loaded, with no noticeable rear-end sag thanks to the upgraded springs (I’ll get around to measuring the actual sag at some point). The Fox shocks did a great job keeping the ride smooth and stable, reducing sway, and building confidence in towing on road with this setup.

One key moment during the trip was on a steep downhill section at night. I hadn’t dialed in the trailer brakes properly (my mistake), and as I approached a tight corner a little too fast, the trailer started to sway. When I pressed the brake controller it did nothing (because, again, I hadn’t set it up right), and my heart rate rose as I applied more brake pressure in order to make the corner. But the Grenadier? Rock solid. The rear end stayed planted, and the vehicle remained perfectly stable, even as the trailer tried to dance its way out of line. While the vehicle’s weight certainly helped, I’m convinced the well-tuned shocks were the real heroes here, keeping everything straight and controlled when things could’ve gone sideways—literally.

Overall Impression:
Solve Offroad has done a stellar job with this suspension kit. It’s a well-rounded upgrade for the Grenadier, enhancing performance both on and off the road. Whether you’re towing, tackling rough trails, or dropping the kids at school, this kit delivers a noticeable boost in ride quality and handling. I highly recommend it to any Grenadier owner looking to step up their vehicle’s capabilities.

NB: I’ve got no affiliation with Solve Offroad—just a long-standing customer. They set up my previous vehicle, and after that experience, I approached Nick, the owner, to see what magic he could work on my new Grenadier. He’s a wizard.

View attachment 7868909
View attachment 7868910
View attachment 7868911
View attachment 7868912
Great write up, thanks for the info. What tires are you running?

DaveKop

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
Thanks! Are there geometry changes like caster adjustments as part of the mount/linkage mod?

Last edited:

Braydo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks! Are there geometry changes like caster adjustments as part of the mount/linkage mod?
Yes I believe so (although the technicalities of suspension setups are beyond me), in order to keep the angles within spec. While downward wheel travel has been increased it could go further except they’ve limited it so as not to allow the driveshaft to move too far. They can go further, but would require changes to the cv - they are looking at putting together a kit for that too.

I’d suggest getting in touch with Solve for the technical questions

Back
Top Bottom