The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Dust and water leak above rear doors

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
Hi all. Just returned from my Cape York adventure.
Car has been serviced and cleaned several times. Plenty of red dust from the corrugated roads. No problems, the powder coating is gone from the base/underside of the side steps, that has been reported to ineos, but there was a noticeable dust leak in the rear.
Very minor amount of red dust throughout the car. But I had previously noted a small ingress of water as well after washing, in the middle of the bigger door, at the top. The cargo area was packed full whilst we travelled, and it piled up on the bag that was closest to this point, packed very close to the top of cargo area, almost touching large door rear windows.
I put a torch underneath the inside, and you can see a clear gap between the seal and the metal joins of the roof. There are a couple of seals here, but this is exactly where it came in. I'm going to silicone it up, see if that helps. You can also see the seal has come away from the metal along the top, I'll try to reheat and reattach that.
There are two of these gaps in the roofing, quite obvious when you look at it.
I'll advise if it helps.
Pedro

Attachments

• 20240830_115842.jpg
    20240830_115842.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 42
  • 20240830_115923.jpg
    20240830_115923.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 41
  • 20240830_115836.jpg
    20240830_115836.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 39
  • 20240830_120513.jpg
    20240830_120513.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 42

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
Car has been serviced and cleaned several times. Plenty of red dust from the corrugated roads. No problems, the powder coating is gone from the base/underside of the side steps, that has been reported to ineos, but there was a noticeable dust leak in the rear.
Very minor amount of red dust throughout the car. But I had previously noted a small ingress of water as well after washing, in the middle of the bigger door, at the top. The cargo area was packed full whilst we travelled, and it piled up on the bag that was closest to this point, packed very close to the top of cargo area, almost touching large door rear windows.
I put a torch underneath the inside, and you can see a clear gap between the seal and the metal joins of the roof. There are a couple of seals here, but this is exactly where it came in. I'm going to silicone it up, see if that helps. You can also see the seal has come away from the metal along the top, I'll try to reheat and reattach that.
I'll advise if it helps.
Pedro
I had a similar issue which was fixed by my Agent, who reattached the seals.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
I'll advise if it helps.
Pedro
Hi pedrpgb. I’ve just had my side steps replaced under warranty as the original powder coating had worn off underneath due to extensive use on dirt/ gravel corrugated roads . Apparently the later side steps have a tougher more durable coating .

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
The gap in the seal is on all vehicles and I had the same problem. I cut a small dense foam infill strip (from boating matting) and wedged it through and then cut neat (not a drop since). But annoying none the less. I find the rear seals are VERY poorly designed in that they trap and hold a fair amount of water and right after driving through rain, opening the rear gate lets water cascade into the boot area (on groceries half the time!).

Back
Top Bottom