The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Cracked windscreen and insurance

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
Having taken possession of my lovely Magic Mushroom 5 seat Utility wagon last Tuesday, I was blessed in enjoying its beauty for two whole days before a car in front threw a nice stone at me and hit the windscreen.
I didn’t realise the screen was in fact cracked until the following day when I called in at my local Grenadier supplier to register my truck, have a quick hook up on their laptop to clear any software issues (only one which was dealt with immediately) and to order a couple of extras.

They (Compass Automotive of Bridgewater; a helpful crew) had already gained experience in windscreen replacement as one of their customers had only just had their screen replaced.
Turns out there are no aftermarket screens on the scene yet, so original fitment screens are currently the only option.
Of note though, was the recommendation by the aforementioned screen fitter, to replace the rubber strip at the top of the screen. Not essential, but recommended.

Sensing my insurers might be somewhat hamstrung in sorting this out, I ordered a replacement screen and seal, and asked Compass to let me try and sort things out with my insurers (Admiral). No problem they said.
Once contacted, Admiral passed my details on to their authorised windscreen contractor (Nationwide Windscreens) who in turn contacted me to ask where I got the vehicle from.
I told their buyer (who was the guy that rang me) that not only had I registered my vehicle with Compass, but that they already had the replacement screen and seal on order. A quick exchange of details and the screen was purchased by Nationwide.
I’m now waiting for my allocated slot to have the screen fitted.
£115 excess paid to my insurers.
Or £1,200+ vat quoted to supply & fit by Compass. Sounds a lot, but in the current market place, that’s no more than what my van’s screen would’ve cost had I paid for it myself.

Moral of the story? Definitely tick “Windscreen Cover” on your insurance application.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Same here , got a stone chip on my windscreen during my trip last week by the time i got home it evolved into a full crack .
Spoke to dealer glass in stock and ordered should be 1300 give or take with fitting .

Insurance ( NFU ) happy to pick up the bill despite me not using their approved guys ( autoglass) .
Only difference to me the excess will be 115 instead of 95 .

I see a lot more windscreens being broken in the coming years . The glass is too upright.

Maybe a protective film is needed to save guard it a bit .

Permanent carry in the car now is a windscreen repair kit . :)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I see a lot more windscreens being broken in the coming years . The glass is too upright.
Hard to see how that can be changed given the nature of this, and all similar vehicles.

I think the upturn in windscreen issues may be more down to the quality of our roads than intrinsic design.

Maybe a protective film is needed to save guard it a bit .
There's a few products out there but at a cost.

Permanent carry in the car now is a windscreen repair kit . :)
What do you carry?

When we did the big trips we'd always pack a pair of ski or motorcycle googles but never had to resort to them, at least not whilst driving!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
For years I've had a pr of workshop safety glasses in my "emergency " pack, along with a 6'x3' folded sheet of transparent plastic sheet to cover a broken windscreen. You lay it across the screen, the excess is folded and held in place by the front door seals. I've used it twice in 15 yrs... ok for laminated screens, useless for the old safety glass screens..

@Miki .. there are no sensors in the windscreen...not even a tinted band across the top!🙄

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
That is because the windscreen is very upright. - The problem of having a thin foil on the outside of windscreen at least in Germany might be approved by authority - reason is security, - functionality of windscreen wipers and see through capability shall not be restricted in both directions - so a speed camera can still identify the driver - (in my opinion the main reason) I am considering that but I do not know if there are any protective films that can be attached on the outside are available and also approved.

Local time
Reaction score
@Miki .. there are no sensors in the windscreen...not even a tinted band across the top!🙄

Glued in with no sensors.
But top rubber seal should also be replaced, as recommended by screen fitter used by Compass Automotive (for many years).

It seems very expensive (@ around £1200) for a plain screen, even with a new top rubber ?
I guess this is because it's new to the market.

I don't own a Grenny so don't know for certain but most of the pictures i've seen seem to suggest it's not a complex curve, more flat like a landrover defender ?
I replaced the screen on my Audi TT recently, that is curved in all sections, it was less than 1/2 the costs shown here ...
A defender screen (plain) is under £50 so around doulbe that with a new seal (it isn't glued though).

I could kinda see where it was if there was a German sensor, LDWS and ADAS fitted.
I hope the price falls to a more reasonable level soon.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
Clicked on this, as I have just literally organised my windscreen repair with Auto Glass.

Clearly the upright windscreen design and the state of the roads (UK) is going to be an issue for us IG drivers going forward. Mine was a hell of a bang and didn’t think it had caused any damage until I washed it a few days later and when all the bug splatter was washed away, there was mu new little diamond glinting away in the sun.

It already had a couple of spider legs cracks coming off it, so I organised a repair immediately. Don’t want to be ripping out the windscreen just yet.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It seems very expensive (@ around £1200) for a plain screen, even with a new top rubber ?
I guess this is because it's new to the market.

I don't own a Grenny so don't know for certain but most of the pictures i've seen seem to suggest it's not a complex curve, more flat like a landrover defender ?
I replaced the screen on my Audi TT recently, that is curved in all sections, it was less than 1/2 the costs shown here ...
A defender screen (plain) is under £50 so around doulbe that with a new seal (it isn't glued though).

I could kinda see where it was if there was a German sensor, LDWS and ADAS fitted.
I hope the price falls to a more reasonable level soon.
Yes it does appear expensive, but that’s mainly because it’s an OE fitment screen direct from Ineos.
At some point the aftermarket screen manufacturers will produce a suitable replacement, but until then, it’s OE fitment for the time being.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hard to see how that can be changed given the nature of this, and all similar vehicles.
Obviously that cannot change , it was just an acceptance of the facts from my point of view. If i need to change the glass now and then so be it . Funny enought drove a nissan patrol for 10 years never had a crack only a rock chip that never evolved into anything . anyway . as you say it might be the roads.

What do you carry?
Last time i repaired a windscreen was last year to my previosu car i used this :

rock chip dissapeared completely , was very impressed with it . Even i had to go looking for it to find it afterwards .

Now for the Gren and because i cannot leave good enought alone i got this :

Full discolusre i did not test the latter one , my rock chip decided it did not want to wait the 3 miles to the house where the repair kit was sitting in the psotbox and extended all the way to the end of the glass . So have no ide how good it is .
What i can say is the first one worked as described .

Hope this helps .

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Why is everyone going on about ‘the upright design’ like that’s a particular problem? If theybreak easily then the glass is not the right specification, but upright? What, like every defender for 60 years, toyota 70 and prior, not to mention every bus, truck, transit, hiace, vans galore…
lets just focus on Ineos putting adequate glass on the car. If it isn’t, they should up the spec, and we can ask that they attend to that.

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:13 AM
Reaction score
Why is everyone going on about ‘the upright design’ like that’s a particular problem? If theybreak easily then the glass is not the right specification, but upright? What, like every defender for 60 years, toyota 70 and prior, not to mention every bus, truck, transit, hiace, vans galore…
lets just focus on Ineos putting adequate glass on the car. If it isn’t, they should up the spec, and we can ask that they attend to that.
On the button James! I fear this is a multi brand issue these days and is currently a major insurance cost here in NZ that thankfully premiums have not yet been affected by. 😮‍💨
Check this thread out for more info “windscreen durability”
I managed to get JLR in NZ to accept some design responsibility but they too used the “upright screen” to hide behind.
I’m convinced the newer laminated screens use a thinner outer laminate for some reason 🤷🏼‍♂️
My dealer here in NZ actually stated that a non heated screen option would be better for our roads but it’s not available sadly!
I have bitten the bullet and ordered my Gren as I’m just so enamoured with the concept and I’m hoping screens will be easier to fit for me (locally instead of a 2.5 hr drive away!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On the button James! I fear this is a multi brand issue these days and is currently a major insurance cost here in NZ that thankfully premiums have not yet been affected by. 😮‍💨
Check this thread out for more info “windscreen durability”
I managed to get JLR in NZ to accept some design responsibility but they too used the “upright screen” to hide behind.
I’m convinced the newer laminated screens use a thinner outer laminate for some reason 🤷🏼‍♂️
My dealer here in NZ actually stated that a non heated screen option would be better for our roads but it’s not available sadly!
I have bitten the bullet and ordered my Gren as I’m just so enamoured with the concept and I’m hoping screens will be easier to fit for me (locally instead of a 2.5 hr drive away!
I believe there are different rocks in different countries.
Sometimes different rocks in different parts of the same country.
Some countries have roads that are well maintained, others not so much.
I had a bolt come off the tray of a ute on the motorway and I could watch it coming straight at, then through, the windscreen of my Subaru Liberty.
It hit the headrest of the front passenger seat, which luckily was empty at the time.
The windscreen of my Mercedes is very sloped, laminated and tinted and currently has 3 stone chips in it.
It is the second windscreen in 5 years.
1692944911053.png

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
But what is the secret sauce, what makes Gorilla glass "stronger" if indeed it is?

beanohallett

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Having taken possession of my lovely Magic Mushroom 5 seat Utility wagon last Tuesday, I was blessed in enjoying its beauty for two whole days before a car in front threw a nice stone at me and hit the windscreen.
I didn’t realise the screen was in fact cracked until the following day when I called in at my local Grenadier supplier to register my truck, have a quick hook up on their laptop to clear any software issues (only one which was dealt with immediately) and to order a couple of extras.

They (Compass Automotive of Bridgewater; a helpful crew) had already gained experience in windscreen replacement as one of their customers had only just had their screen replaced.
Turns out there are no aftermarket screens on the scene yet, so original fitment screens are currently the only option.
Of note though, was the recommendation by the aforementioned screen fitter, to replace the rubber strip at the top of the screen. Not essential, but recommended.

Sensing my insurers might be somewhat hamstrung in sorting this out, I ordered a replacement screen and seal, and asked Compass to let me try and sort things out with my insurers (Admiral). No problem they said.
Once contacted, Admiral passed my details on to their authorised windscreen contractor (Nationwide Windscreens) who in turn contacted me to ask where I got the vehicle from.
I told their buyer (who was the guy that rang me) that not only had I registered my vehicle with Compass, but that they already had the replacement screen and seal on order. A quick exchange of details and the screen was purchased by Nationwide.
I’m now waiting for my allocated slot to have the screen fitted.
£115 excess paid to my insurers.
Or £1,200+ vat quoted to supply & fit by Compass. Sounds a lot, but in the current market place, that’s no more than what my van’s screen would’ve cost had I paid for it myself.

Moral of the story? Definitely tick “Windscreen Cover” on your insurance application.
Hi there

thats a bugger about the screen and pleased its sorted.

Out of interest what extras did you order.

Down here in Kent our dealer is Jardine's and unless you've a Aston Martin , JLR or Ferrari there not really that interested in anything grenadier.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time