The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Centered steering wheel when going straight?

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:18 PM
Reaction score
My steering wheel is off center when driving in a straight line. Is this an easy fix? I took these twp picture of it, it's about where these pics show the wheel to be when going straight.

It's not super awful but I find it annoying.

1000032287.jpg

1000032285.jpg

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
My steering wheel is off center when driving in a straight line. Is this an easy fix? I took these twp picture of it, it's about where these pics show the wheel to be when going straight.

View attachment 7865135

View attachment 7865134
Get your dealer to fix it under warranty, they will do a wheel alignment to fix. I had the same issue but other side of the vehicle and 10 degrees permanently to the right, had it done at the same time as getting all remaining service campaigns done.

QRgren

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:18 AM
Reaction score
Like Shopkeep said - go to the dealer for alignment. Had a similar issue and wouldn’t take the car until it was addressed. They had to get Ineos involved to try to address it. It’s better now but not perfect.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7865135

View attachment 7865134
Yep that is where mine is at. Having it addressed at the dealer in a couple of weeks.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Cool, I have an appointment in early October. I can wait until then. Closest dealer is still 5 hours away from San Francisco.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Hi Parb, Here's the fix for an off centered steering wheel. DaBull

I decided to tackle the 2-degree steering wheel offset from top dead center that my Grenadier had. I hate to admit it that is was driving me a bit batty. Although I knew having the steering wheel moved to top dead center would not change anything except my perception, I am loving the new perception.

These instructions are for the US Left Hand Drive Vehicles. Not sure if they would be exactly the same for Right Hand Drive Vehicles.

TOOLS
WD-40 to first spray on the captive nuts and threads to make it easier to release the captive nuts.
2 large adjustable wrenches. I purchased mine from Harbor Freight.
3M blue tape and permanent marker to set up a reference scale, see photo.
Something to lie on while wrenching away.
Tef Gel or anti-seize to put on threads to make it easier to undo the captive nuts the next time.
Some Red Paint to mark the final adjustment.
A bit of strength to wrench loose the captive nuts, it helps if you know which way to turn them first, which I did not.

Here’s a couple photos on how to go about adjusting the steering wheel to be top dead center. Note: This does not change the alignment of the suspension.

One photo has instructions and the other shows a strip of blue 3M tape I marked up and wrapped around the large wide center nut so I could visually see and make note of what adjustments I was making. The numbers are just for reference and could have easily been A,B,C instead.

Once you have the 2 captive nuts loose, you can then turn the large wide center nut. Simply make 1/6th turn adjustments at first and then take it for a short drive, (Yes, I know you should tighten up the 2 captive nuts first, however I choose not too during the test drive). Keep in mind when taking a test-drive that most roads have a slope/slant that falls off to the side to facilitate drainage during rains. As such, you will find the steering wheel will be 1-2 degrees off for the vehicle to compensate for the sloped road. The trick is to find a level road and then drive it in both directions to judge how well your adjustment is working on level roads and then make further fine adjustments from there. I took my wrenches along for the test-drives and pulled over and made adjustments as needed until I was happy. Once back home, I spread some anti-seize, (I used Tef-Gel), on the threads to make it easier to wrench them loose in the future and then tightened up the captive nuts as hard as I could. I also purchased a small paintbrush and some red paint to make a straight line across the all the nuts so that I could easily peak underneath from time to time to make sure nothing was coming loose. It’s very important to tighten those captive nuts and keep an eye on them to make sure they are not coming loose!
Now that I have finished this project, Everything In The Universe is Now Perfectly Aligned. DaBull

1 - Tools for the Job.jpg2- How to Photo.jpeg3- Adjustment Photo.jpeg4 - Steering Wheel top dead center.jpeg5 - Job Completed.jpg
My

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Woah! You took my method to the Nth degree! Nicely done! 💪
A LARGE SHOUT OUT TO @LeftCoastOverland, as he was the inspiration for me tackling the steering wheel correction. His detailed information and photos on his original post gave me the confidence to tackle this head on.
Thanks @LeftCoastOverland
Much Appreciated! DaBull
Here's LeftCoastOverland's original post:

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
A LARGE SHOUT OUT TO @LeftCoastOverland, as he was the inspiration for me tackling the steering wheel correction. His detailed information and photos on his original post gave me the confidence to tackle this head on.
Thanks @LeftCoastOverland
Much Appreciated! DaBull
Here's LeftCoastOverland's original post:
No credit to me required, Amigo!

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
steering centered.
All it took was a very expensive 46 key and two 36 keys :censored:

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is that the wrenches you needed to loosen the nuts? I'm debating buying fixed size wrenches or two large adjustable ones.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
exactly, they are the necessary wrenches. I prefer them fixed

airbrake60

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Let me start off with, we get our Grenadier tomorrow. Does anyone have access to the wiring for the power steering pump motor, back to the ECU? Some of the pumps I used in the past (old hotrods) will whine at different speeds. I am thinking that the pump motor may be a variable speed and controlled by the ecu; or just have a simple relay to turn it on and off. Either case, I would think that it would be easy to disable for the times you idling whilst pulling up to order fast food. I would always have to turn my diesel engines off so they could hear me.

Back
Top Bottom