The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Black Infotainment Screen - Need Advice

outono

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
Picked up my Grenadier 2 days ago. Parked it over night and woke up to a totally black infotainment screen. Disconnected the batteries and sure enough, the screen came back on. Drove it for the day and had no problems. Parked it last night and woke up again to a totally black screen. Disconnected the batteries and now it's not coming back. Getting tons of errors on the dash and the two locker lights are blinking.

Any thoughts on what to do here? The dealership is closed today.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:36 PM
Reaction score
Sounds like a screen failure... That's going to be a dealer fix

outono

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Lol im in Oregon picking the truck up to drive it home to Southern California. Now im stuck here. Looks like the vehicle is now in a safe mode of sorts. Lots of errors after disconnecting the batteries the second time, locker lights blinking. I found a photo of a sticker saying to not disconnect the batteries within 3 minutes of the engine running. That sticker is nowhere in my vehicle and I cant find that info in the User Guide. Off to a great start!

IMG_6979.jpeg

Last edited:

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Lol im in Oregon picking the truck up to drive it home to Southern California. Now im stuck here. Looks like the vehicle is now in a safe mode of sorts. Lots of errors after disconnecting the batteries the second time, locker lights blinking. I found a photo of a sticker saying to not disconnect the batteries within 3 minutes of the engine running. That sticker is nowhere in my vehicle and I cant find that info in the User Guide. Off to a great start!

View attachment 7860151
I think this sticker was made by a member here.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7860151
I had exactly the same thing happen, no sticker anywhere. This was rectified by the agent after I had to take it there to have the airbag light fault deleted, only the agent can do this stupidly.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
The reason to not disconnect the battery so soon after running the engine. Is that the software only shuts down 3 to 5 minutes after you kill the engine.
The effect is the same as pulling the power cord out of your computer who is still running and putting it back in instantly. You probably kill the software.

Maybe a hard reset can help? But I can't remember how to initiate this. But I thought I already read about it here in the forum.

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:36 AM
Reaction score
My screen was replaced by dealer before delivery last month causing delays. I never saw the faulty module, but after reading your story it may be more common than I initially was lead to believe.

What part of Oregon are you stranded?

outono

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update.

Yesterday, after the truck went into its safe / recovery mode, we decided to keep experimenting with solutions. So we fired the truck up, errors and alarms going off, and took it for a spin. Within 30 feet of moving, everything but the screen cleared up all at once. It was bizarre.

After driving a few miles we parked the vehicle and let it sit for 15 minutes. Came back to it, opened the door, waited a bit longer than normal (2 minutes?) and sure enough, the screen came back online.

We hopped in the vehicle and drove 1,000 miles from Portland to Southern California right after. We had no errors at all the entire drive down.

So as @Voader - Oudersopzwier alluded too, there are clearly software tasks running shortly after ignition that can be interrupted if you pull the power. However, for us at least, the owner can recover by just driving the truck around since the software appears to reboot itself over a short distance.

As for the screen, mine fails to initialize if the truck sits overnight (or for long periods). This seems to be some sort of firmware corruption or task interruption during whatever processes that are running during extended shut off. The best thing to do it seems is to drive the truck around, park it, lock it, and come back in 15 minutes to see if the screen returns. I'll ask the dealer to reflash the firmware to see if that helps.

We ran into other small annoyances over the 16 hours of driving:
  • AC condenser leaking into the driver footwell
  • Missing cabin air filter causing wind to come into the passenger footwell (it was freezing at night)
  • CarPlay locking up, requiring a screen reboot (you can do this by holding the MUTE button. Im going to try to this next time my screen doesn't come up.)
  • Rattling infotainment screen
  • Annoying whine at higher speeds from what appears to be the Cytek under the seats, but unclear if thats the cause
  • Heated seats don't really have different levels. The hottest setting ramps up quickly then comes down to a mild heat.
  • AC is all over the place. Also getting a ton of wind noise through the vents unless Recirculation is on, but that requires the AC to be running.

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:36 AM
Reaction score
My A/C and heating were also wonky when I first took delivery. Could barely get heat at full tilt, and Aircon just worked ok. This lasted about a week or more.

Same with the heated seats… lava or not at all.

Since driving it and massaging the controls and modules for 4 weeks, and 3,000K it feels like things have settled in. Heated seats are now just mild from the get go. And my HVAC seems to put out more even temps across the spectrum. (Although today my driver heated seat refused to turn on… stubborn little bitch.)

Glad you made it back to Socal without getting stuck. 1,000 mile run on i5 used to be my staple.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
Update.

• AC condenser leaking into the driver footwell
  • Missing cabin air filter causing wind to come into the passenger footwell (it was freezing at night)
  • CarPlay locking up, requiring a screen reboot (you can do this by holding the MUTE button. Im going to try to this next time my screen doesn't come up.)
  • Rattling infotainment screen
  • Annoying whine at higher speeds from what appears to be the Cytek under the seats, but unclear if thats the cause
  • Heated seats don't really have different levels. The hottest setting ramps up quickly then comes down to a mild heat.
  • AC is all over the place. Also getting a ton of wind noise through the vents unless Recirculation is on, but that requires the AC to be running.
Happy you got the car back running...

About the AC. Even as there is written that it is an automatic climate system, you need to approach the heating and cooling in the Grenadier as it was a sort of semi automatic system. Once you take that approach, you will see after a while, like a lot of people here you will find a way to manage it without your feet suffering from frostbite or catching a cold due to the vents blowing cold/hot air. So don't push the auto button and AC button in one time. It won't work as you think it should work.

The AC dripping is also a result of that. It shouldn't do that, but it's due to the fact that the Airco is on full force and gives a lot of condensation.

Remember, driving a Grenadier is bringing back the true pleasure of taking control of the vehicle. With al his little qwercks and ratels. The Grenadier is an non-comformistic vehicle, it's not a computerized car like all other cars these days. It brings you back to the pure essence and joy of driving. Well, you know what I mean, that's why I love this car so much.
Off cours, the dealer needs to fix that screen and software and probably also some other things, It's a new car and it has his issues, but they will be solved.

Back
Top Bottom