The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Another cracked windscreen

higgo

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
I'm currently on a road trip from Adelaide (Australia) to Darwin and back again. Nearly all on road and towing a small hybrid van.

Really enjoying the trip and driving tbe Grenadier.

Unfortunately i have just driven to Simpsons Gap which is west of Alice Springs and on the way back suffered my second cracked windshield of the trip. I was able to get the first one replaced in Darwin as an insurance claim.

Of course insurance only covers one claim a year so when I get back to Adelaide, and Ineos have stock I will get the 1 week old windscreen which was just fitted replaced.

For the forum though, in my 45 years of driving all sorts of other 4wds around Australia I have NEVER lost a windshield before. Now, 2 in a few weeks....

What can I do to avoid this as I really cant afford to replace a windscreen or two on every road trip?

Anyone found a solution?

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:10 AM
Reaction score
I understand, it's a worrying issue, I also broke mine a few weeks ago, and apparently there was no cause to justify such a break, but Ineos ignored it by passing the problem on to the insurance company, stating that the break was due to a stone that hit the glass, I did not notice such an impact at any time, I think that there must be some structural problem, either the position of the glass, the bonding or the quality of the glass itself, which facilitates so many breaks, we should do a "census of broken glass" and file a claim with Ineos, this level of breakage cannot be accepted, we should do something, in the end the insurance companies will not want to insure us. Legally (here in Spain at least) you cannot put any protective film on the windshield and it is anguish to drive with the fear of a new breakage. What do you think, Regards Paco

Te comprendo es un tema preocupante, yo tambien rompi haces unas semanas el mio, y aparentemente no existio causa que justifique tal rotura, pero ineos se desentendio pasandole el problema a la aseguradora, afirmanado que la rotura se debía a una piedra que impacto en el cristal, yo no note en ningún momento tal impacto, pienso que debe existir algún problema estructural, bien sea la posición del cristal, el pegado o la propia calidad del cristal, la que facilita tantas rupturas, deberiamos hacer un "censo de cristales rotos" y plantear una reclamación a ineos, no se puede aceptar este nivel de roturas, algo deberiamos hacer, al final las compañias de seguros no querran asegurarnos. legalmente ( aqui en España por lo menos ) no se puede poner ningún film protector en el parabrisas y es una angustia ir conduciendo con el temor de una nueva rotura. Que opinais , Saludos Paco

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
I can only suggest that one of the protection films is used to stop damage it it is being caused by stones or debris.

If as Paco is suggesting it is being caused by stress on the screen, then we are all doomed. I seem to remember the new defenders having this same problem being discussed

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
I'm currently on a road trip from Adelaide (Australia) to Darwin and back again. Nearly all on road and towing a small hybrid van.

Unfortunately i have just driven to Simpsons Gap which is west of Alice Springs and on the way back suffered my second cracked windshield of the trip. I was able to get the first one replaced in Darwin as an insurance claim.

Of course insurance only covers one claim a year so when I get back to Adelaide, and Ineos have stock I will get the 1 week old windscreen which was just fitted replaced.

For the forum though, in my 45 years of driving all sorts of other 4wds around Australia I have NEVER lost a windshield before. Now, 2 in a few weeks....

What can I do to avoid this as I really cant afford to replace a windscreen or two on every road trip?

Anyone found a solution?
May not help you in Australia, but a thread on this forum mentioned that this company is thinking about making window protector film for the Grenadier (currently only available for Jeep). Might find a similar product somewhere else on the internet. I already repaired one rock chip myself. A well known window repair company in the US didn't know what a Grenadier was and declined to attempt a repair.
https://racingopticsjeep.com/windshield-defense/

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:10 AM
Reaction score
I have had a few rock strikes so far and luckily no breaks.
Not to mention every bug within 100 km range commits suicide on the screen.
I carry windex and a screen scraper permanently.

Previously I can recall several windscreens cracks and chips over the years.
My Mercedes had a very steeply sloped windscreen and I had 3 chips over 5 years, luckily I was able to just get chip repair done.
My Subaru was a real pain as it had a vision system mounted to the screen, which meant the dealer had to fit and re-calibrate the screen/camera. $AUD1,800 a pop.
On one occasion I was driving down the motorway and I saw something come off the back of a ute in front.
It bounced off the road and straight up into my windscreen.
Turned out to be a galvanised bolt and nut
My Hilux I hit a Galah in the top left corner of the screen and it not only smashed the windscreen but also dented the roof.
Off to the smash repairers for that one.

I had a Nissen X-Trail Hire car that cracked a windscreen and that seemed to be body flex that caused it as we were going pretty slow.

1718490587809.jpg
Merc with Subaru in the background
1718490735942.jpg1718490939495.jpg
Not actual Galah that hit the Hilux, just one of his stupid relatives doing a re-enactment for me.
1718491039667.jpg

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
@DaveB - I have had a few rock strikes so far and luckily no breaks.
Not to mention every bug within 100 km range commits suicide on the screen.
I carry windex and a screen scraper permanently.
I had an "object" hit the screen and it made do a partial duck while driving ... no crack but a HUGE bug sounding like a rock hitting the screen!!
Like the idea of Windex and a screen scraper!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Anyone found a solution?
Ouch!
Likewise I've not replaced a windscreen due to road strike in 45+ yrs. Got a stone a few weeks ago which put a dimple dent in the passenger A pillar... then 10 days ago copped a beauty on the windscreen sth of Rockhampton ...again on passenger side this time a star about the size of a 50c coin. Too big to glue...
Rang O'Brien's today. They'll get it to Cairns from Bris... am booked in next wek to have it replaced under insurance:. Est. cost to insurance co. $2600!! $2500 for the screen and $800 thereabouts for the mould which holds it in place. (Daughter's 2015 Santa Fe diesel windscreen also need replacement $510.... )
The IG replacement cost seems steep for one which doesn't require calibrating..
Shall drive home with due caution!!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ouch!
Likewise I've not replaced a windscreen due to road strike in 45+ yrs. Got a stone a few weeks ago which put a dimple dent in the passenger A pillar... then 10 days ago copped a beauty on the windscreen sth of Rockhampton ...again on passenger side this time a star about the size of a 50c coin. Too big to glue...
Rang O'Brien's today. They'll get it to Cairns from Bris... am booked in next wek to have it replaced under insurance:. Est. cost to insurance co. $2600!! $2500 for the screen and $800 thereabouts for the mould which holds it in place. (Daughter's 2015 Santa Fe diesel windscreen also need replacement $510.... )
The IG replacement cost seems steep for one which doesn't require calibrating..
Shall drive home with due caution!!

$3,300 for one of the most basic (and apparently most fragile/fallible) windscreens on the market, with no rain sensor wipers, and no camera inserts or the multitude of gismos on tech vehicles these days. This company just keeps taking the piss don’t they. Amazing.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
This will sound funny but I just ordered last night an extendable scraper and Windex that I intend to carry in the car. When driving at dusk or dawn out here in the american west my windshield gets covered in bugs. It's an unbelievable quantity and the wipers just can't keep up.

I've often thought that someone will invent an air deflector that mounts to the hood that diverts air over the windshield like you used to see on cars like the Toyota tundra 20 years ago.

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:10 AM
Reaction score
It seems like an exorbitant price to me, $3300 even though they are Australian $$, here in Spain the glass costs less than €800, the total bill for the exchange at the distributor, in my case was €1310 VAT included, and it still seems expensive to me , we should do something about it. Greetings Paco

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
This will sound funny but I just ordered last night an extendable scraper and Windex that I intend to carry in the car. When driving at dusk or dawn out here in the american west my windshield gets covered in bugs. It's an unbelievable quantity and the wipers just can't keep up.

I've often thought that someone will invent an air deflector that mounts to the hood that diverts air over the windshield like you used to see on cars like the Toyota tundra 20 years ago.
This actually works https://www.griotsgarage.com/bug-barricade/
Wipers will clear most of it.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Similar to rain-X? I ordered some rain-X, it should also help by making the surface hydrophobic?

Edit. The reviews for bug barricade on various forums is much better than for rain-X.

Last edited:

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Use common sense with Rain-X on paint. It has a reputation of ruining paint if sprayed and left on the hood or A-pillar. The maker of Rain-X advises using soap and water to remove so it’s not *that* bad, I guess.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
$3,300 for one of the most basic (and apparently most fragile/fallible) windscreens on the market, with no rain sensor wipers, and no camera inserts or the multitude of gismos on tech vehicles these days. This company just keeps taking the piss don’t they. Amazing.
Update:
was booked in for next Thursday. Phone call today.. "er sorry.. we've got the glass but no mold. That's not available from Ineos until mid August."😡
Me: "I won't be in Cairns in mid August ...I'm due back in Brisbane early July"
After a few minutes on "hold"... job delayed, they'll organise it closer to Brisbane in August.
I suggested they keep a spare glass in Cairns for an inevitable callout .... ( just keeping the welfare of my fellow Grenadier owners front of mind and being humble of course!🤣)

PS: I again queried the cost.... this time I was advised by today's call-centre person that the approx $2500 figure included the approx $800 for the mold...

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:10 AM
Reaction score
I had my new windscreen fitted in the UK using the original top trim. It worked fine and looks like it’s never been touched.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:10 AM
Reaction score
I am about to renew my DMAX insurance... and I notice ALL premiums with the 'free no excess windshield replacement' has increased by about $150pa JUST for windscreen cover... couple that with a base 30% premium increase and total premium is up nearly 40% this FY... we are being taken for a ride!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am about to renew my DMAX insurance... and I notice ALL premiums with the 'free no excess windshield replacement' has increased by about $150pa JUST for windscreen cover... couple that with a base 30% premium increase and total premium is up nearly 40% this FY... we are being taken for a ride!
Thanks for the confirmation....
I was wondering about market or agreed amount. However Suncorp as with RACQ offers full vehicle replacement if written off in the first two yrs...albeit at the increased cost and no automatic windscreen coverage....so I'll procrastinate for another 12m then decide. ;-)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom