The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

All warning lights on

MRO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
Love to get any advice.

After driving up and down a rough track which required all diff locks, bellying out in peat and getting quite thrown around, all my warning lights seem to have come on. Messages are ESC and ABS not available, downhill and uphill assist, power steering error etc.

Was impressed with how it did on the track.

Drives fine.

Have called the AA but I am a long way from civilisation.

1722357050033.jpeg

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
Two suggestions:
1. Without engaging the diff locks, drive during 50 m on a rough track, with a lot of bouncing, and see what happens.
2. Probably you already tried, stop the car, motor off, 5 minutes, and try again.

Vote:
Upvote 0

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
Love to get any advice.

After driving up and down a rough track which required all diff locks, bellying out in peat and getting quite thrown around, all my warning lights seem to have come on. Messages are ESC and ABS not available, downhill and uphill assist, power steering error etc.

Was impressed with how it did on the track.

Drives fine.

Have called the AA but I am a long way from civilisation.

View attachment 7865263
Had a similar thing with a lot of very short stop start trips in 1 day (rubbish tip runs) 1/2mile max. All lights on no speedo. Rear camera stuck on, had to turn off manually.
Short run and restarted and all cleared. Could be just a glitch? Never happened again but I've not had to do the same journeys in 1 day since. As they were all warnings rather than red I didn't worry---too much

Reactions: MRO
Vote:
Upvote 0

MRO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks v much all. Dealer suggests disconnect battery to do a hard reset. Unfortunately the standard tool kit doesn't have the right star drive to get at the battery so the poor AA man will have to do that.

It got a fair battering but nothing to snag on. Some of the wiring may have got wet but it does wade quite regularly so doubt it is that.

Possibly jarred some wires/ECU but it has taken just as big knocks in the past.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Those lights are all amber. Personally I’d drive that home. And then to the dealers in the morning if the lights haven’t gone off. Have you lost power? I’ll be interested in the feedback on this one.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Had a similar thing with a lot of very short stop start trips in 1 day (rubbish tip runs) 1/2mile max. All lights on no speedo. Rear camera stuck on, had to turn off manually.
Short run and restarted and all cleared. Could be just a glitch? Never happened again but I've not had to do the same journeys in 1 day since. As they were all warnings rather than red I didn't worry---too much
Yep. Same experience. Self corrected.

Vote:
Upvote 0

MRO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Home is 735 miles from North Coast Scotland to Devon. I probably will but it is a decent hop home.
Those lights are all amber. Personally I’d drive that home. And then to the dealers in the morning if the lights haven’t gone off. Have you lost power? I’ll be interested in the feedback on this one.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Home is 735 miles from North Coast Scotland to Devon. I probably will but it is a decent hop home.
OK. Stirling Trailer Centre - Ineos Service Partner - absolutely brilliant. Sarah-Jane..... Baron Von Teuchter speaks highly of somewhere in Huntly, and I've seen mention of somewhere in Dingwall?

.image006.png

Thats assuming that turning off. locking up. Go for a coffee. and then try again doesn't re-set the system :)

Vote:
Upvote 0

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
OK. Stirling Trailer Centre - Ineos Service Partner - absolutely brilliant. Sarah-Jane..... Baron Von Teuchter speaks highly of somewhere in Huntly, and I've seen mention of somewhere in Dingwall?

.View attachment 7865266

Thats assuming that turning off. locking up. Go for a coffee. and then try again doesn't re-set the system :)
I'm sure I saw an Ineos garage in Inverness

Vote:
Upvote 0

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm sure I saw an Ineos garage in Inverness
I found article (2022) talking about one being setup in Inverness but not showing in website, sure it was on the industrial estate just off A9.
On the website shows Dingwall, Stirling, Edinburgh and then Carlisle. I'm sure one of them can help

Vote:
Upvote 0

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
Had a similar problem with my LC200 on Fraser Island with similar lights coming on after some vigorous heavy going in soft deep sand.
Calls suggested an issue with the ABS sensors might be the problem.
Hard reset didn’t change anything.
Drove it around the island for another 4 days then home - all up call it 450-500km, without any issues.
Mechanic replaced the ABS sensor when I got back a few days later. No further issue.

Vote:
Upvote 0

MRO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Local mechanic diagnosed a rear left wheel sensor issue. Why does every warning light need to suggest every major component on the car is about to explode? I think Ineos has fallen victim to the usual nanny state rubbish rather than choosing this themselves. Can we have a button that switches off nanny?

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
Local mechanic diagnosed a rear left wheel sensor issue. Why does every warning light need to suggest every major component on the car is about to explode? I think Ineos has fallen victim to the usual nanny state rubbish rather than choosing this themselves. Can we have a button that switches off nanny?
Common for most vehicles if a wheel speed sensor is put out of service each one of the modules on the network no longer receives the appropriate speed data for the systems to work correctly and various combinations of warning lights can be used to check common faults and attempt a diagnosis and repair without scan tools.

Vote:
Upvote 0

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:06 PM
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. I caused it myself by mucking around with too many buttons and stuff just seeing what does and doesn’t work. Obviously the grenadier wasn’t broken!

I bought the innova 5110 diagnostic device on Amazon. It arrived in a day and took me all of 2 minutes to diagnose no issues and clear all the codes! It is was simple! Here is a photo of it. Worked like a charm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Vote:
Upvote 0

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. I caused it myself by mucking around with too many buttons and stuff just seeing what does and doesn’t work. Obviously the grenadier wasn’t broken!

I bought the innova 5110 diagnostic device on Amazon. It arrived in a day and took me all of 2 minutes to diagnose no issues and clear all the codes! It is was simple! Here is a photo of it. Worked like a charm.
I keep it in the glove box now just in case.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
Glad you have a solution.

Not to dismiss your annoyance, but amber lights indicate degraded performance. There was nothing in that light stack that was stopping you from driving home. That's my hindsight from living with this vehicle for a while.
With the exception of the power steering error, which is the odd one out, those other systems all rely on the wheel speed sensors for correct operation. It's not just Ineos. I have seen a few other big brands throw errors after a wheel ring (ABS ring) was damaged or full of mud. I had a Hyundai that would throw an ABS error after driving through a puddle if water splashed onto the wheel ring.
Where Ineos are making it hard is in their custom DTC codes. Talking to my dealer recently they had a similar issue with a vehicle presented by a customer who had completed a big off-road trip. The DTC code was meaningless, but their experience told them to check all the wheel rings. Sure enough, a stone had put a dent in a ring so the gaps between two adjacent segments was no longer symmetrical. 3 of 4 rings were giving valid wheel speed data but the damaged ring was generating the wrong frequency because of the gap variation. That was enough glitch to send all dependent systems into an amber melt down. This looks dramatic on a Grenadier because there are many reliant systems, mostly for off-road assistance.

Vote:
Upvote 0

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Glad you have a solution.

Not to dismiss your annoyance, but amber lights indicate degraded performance. There was nothing in that light stack that was stopping you from driving home. That's my hindsight from living with this vehicle for a while.
With the exception of the power steering error, which is the odd one out, those other systems all rely on the wheel speed sensors for correct operation. It's not just Ineos. I have seen a few other big brands throw errors after a wheel ring (ABS ring) was damaged or full of mud. I had a Hyundai that would throw an ABS error after driving through a puddle if water splashed onto the wheel ring.
Where Ineos are making it hard is in their custom DTC codes. Talking to my dealer recently they had a similar issue with a vehicle presented by a customer who had completed a big off-road trip. The DTC code was meaningless, but their experience told them to check all the wheel rings. Sure enough, a stone had put a dent in a ring so the gaps between two adjacent segments was no longer symmetrical. 3 of 4 rings were giving valid wheel speed data but the damaged ring was generating the wrong frequency because of the gap variation. That was enough glitch to send all dependent systems into an amber melt down. This looks dramatic on a Grenadier because there are many reliant systems, mostly for off-road assistance.
Yeah, I am with you. That does sound scary if you have used it hard and something damaged something. What a pain. Sorry man.

Vote:
Upvote 0

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well done getting a local mechanic to sort it out. Always a worry with warning lights but from what AA or other relay services plus garages have said is, only worry/stop driving if it's red. One of our other vehicles used to have a red engine warning light come on regularly when it was new and it was always a faulty sensor and it had to be sent on a low loader to dealership every time. Now it's 12 years old and hasn't done it for about 9 years. Shouldn't have said that, it will play up now, although the heater fan has just started to make an horrendous noise!!
Drive safe back to Devon and give us all an update on where you were travelling in Scotland and how you managed to get off the surfaced road. It's not easy to find them up there

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom